There are many different reasons to rekey or replace your locks. For example, if you just moved into a new house, you have too many spare keys circulating, or if your home was recently burglarized – in any of these scenarios, you will want to change your locks by replacing or rekeying them. Read below to answer the question “Should I rekey or replace my locks?”
Rekeying your locks involves changing the internal security of the lock. It does not change the locking mechanism itself or the hardware housing. The old keys will no longer work and you will be provided with a new set.
Replacing your locks involves removing the old lock and installing a new one. In general, replacing a lock is more expensive than rekeying one. So, how do you decide whether to replace or rekey a lock?
When to rekey a lock:
- If your lock is functioning properly and it is already a high security lock. If you already have a high security lock and there are no malfunctions, there is no reason to replace it.
- If you don’t want to change the aesthetics of your door or window. Rekeying alters the internal security of the lock. It does not affect appearance.
- If you are on a tight budget. Rekeying costs less than a complete replacement.
When to replace a lock:
- If the lock is no longer functioning properly. Whether it’s difficult to turn the key or there is a problem with the locking mechanism itself, you should consider replacing the unit.
- If your lock is not a high security lock. Your lock could be outdated and it may not meet the standards set by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).
- You want to change the aesthetics of your lock. You may not like the design of your current lock or it may no longer be compatible with your doors or windows.
Should you rekey or replace a lock? It depends on the situation. The bullet points above can help inform your decision but it wouldn’t be a bad idea to seek some expert advice. We can help you make the correct decision for your home and whether it’s a rekey or a replacement, we offer comprehensive service at affordable rates. Give us a call and we can get started.